Thursday, July 21, 2011

Abandoned quail nest?

I have a quail nest in my backyard. Started with 16 eggs. The father is nesting them. The other day i found that there were only 14 eggs. One egg broken open and inside emptied, and another broken but insides intact but both left at nest. Today i found the nest in disarray, feathers around, and so on. There are only 8 eggs now, no sign of the father, and the eggs are cold. Only found one egg broken and the inside emptied. All others have disappeared. What would have done this? A roadrunner? As i have 2 thatr come in yard regurlarly. And should i remove the others to incubate? I have done quite a bit of research on the quail and other birds. I have outdoor feeders, nests all over, babies, and many many different birds, chipmink, etc.. I live on an acre in the Arizona desert. What should i do?

No comments:

Post a Comment